Tuesday, October 11, 2011

2 year theory

I have told some of you about my 2 year theory. I just find it interesting how true it just keeps ringing true. So here it goes:

If you have been dating someone seriously for 2 years, it inevitable that you will start getting the question from everyone about when the engagement is coming. And if your answer involves something like you are comfortable how thing are or y'all are just taking it slow, you will get questioned and lots of funny looks!!



We were engaged after 1.5 years of dating and married a year after that. I was never questions about getting married, but I know of friends who have and they hate it.

So the day finally comes and you get married!! Such a magical day when the whole world revolves around you and only you. However- If you are not pregnant before or around your 2nd Anniversary, you will start getting questions on when you are going to start your family and have babies. This is not always so easy for all couples. I have seen lots of my friends through the loss of jobs, moving, continuing their education, traveling the world, infertility  or plain and simple- just not ready yet. Though sometimes you don't need to give a reason, you will still get the question. Sometimes I feel as if society has programmed humans (specifically women) to ask these questions without thinking about them first.


We started trying to get pregnant after being married for 1.5 years. Little did we know it was going to take 2 years to get pregnant. The questions started coming about having babies, but most of our close friends were still getting married and hadn't started their families yet, so this questioning really didn't bother me.  We were so blessed after that time of trying to welcome baby c into our lives a few weeks before our 4th Anniversary.

So the day comes and you welcome your sweet first little baby into the world!! It will most likely be one of the best days ever! Then that same sweet baby is about to turn 2 years old. If you are not pregnant around this time, you will be asked when the next little one is coming. Does it occur to people that maybe you only want 1 child? Do people think that there could be a reason, like infertility in our situation, why we aren't pregnant again yet? NO!


When baby c turned 1, we knew it would probably take a while to get pregnant again. So when he was 15 months old, exactly 2 years ago this month, we decided to try for baby #2.  9 months later the questions started flowing!!! And for the last 15 months since c turned 2 they just keep coming!! Aye! Oh well- some people are just too dang nosey! I started with the answer of we were trying- then moved to we were only going to have 1 child (that opened up even more questions)- then I have now moved onto telling people we are struggling with infertility- that shuts them up really fast!!

Moral of the story- screw the 2 year theory!! Every family has their own story and are so different. Some are big, some are small. Some grow quickly, some take longer. Some face tough situations, some have an easy path. But no matter how a family is made, it should be made with love!!

2 comments:

  1. Amen!! And there's not one right formula to how it works either. We only dated 1 1/2 years before getting engaged, too, but still got the questions because I was 24. Heaven forbid!! And you know the baby questions we have gotten over the last 4 years!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! People asked us not long after we were married when we would have kids. I think it's just the natural progression of life. Still I think it's insensitive.

    ReplyDelete