If there is one thing that I have learned the past few days, it’s that I don’t want to be insensitive to other friends who are struggling with infertility if/when I get pregnant. I know that it will be the most exciting time ever for me, and probably a little scary too hoping that I don’t miscarry, or even shocking to think that after almost 2 years of trying for another child that I actually am pregnant.
I have been the friend on the other side this week. This week I’m the one crying because I never thought that I would have to actually face the reality that they are pregnant and I am not since we have been on this journey together for a year together now. I am so incredibly happy for my dear friend on her long desired pregnancy! I’m so glad that I was the one she called when she found out that she was pregnant!! I hope that I can be the support and friend that she needs to be to help her with her joys, her anxieties, her fears, and excitements!
I know this time should be a time all about her and how she is feeling, but please allow me to be selfish for just a moment….. what about how I’m feeling? At what point do I get to stop being strong for a moment and just let down my guard – let myself realize that its all going to be ok no matter what? I want to be that person who is sensitive to both sides. I know that I will be excited for me, but I also want to make sure that my infertile friends are ok to. It’s a very emotional time for us too – another friend pregnant and realizing that I’m still the only one not pregnant. Whew! If anyone knows that journey, that is me over the last year an a half!!
I’m not upset. I’m not discouraged. I’m not jealous. I’m not even uncomfortable in the newly created situation. I just feel alone – like I have lost a friend who once understood where I was coming from and what I felt. I feel like its now it’s the “you will understand when you are pregnant” mentality. That’s what hurts the most.
So new lesson learned: I will rejoice in my excitement when the day comes, but I will be sensitive to the feeling of others, just as I would hope they would do for me. A little like the Golden Rule, huh?
And now I will have a large glass of red wine and enjoy the evening with my blessingJ Who needs to be pregnant when you have your little man next to you watching Diego and a drink in hand?? – Haha! (There is my “im trying to be ok” coping mechanism!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment