Tuesday, August 16, 2011

lifestyle changes

I had a 2 week follow up with my Dr on Friday to see how I was tolerating my new diabetes meds that I was put on.  Things are going well, so she went ahead and upped the dosage.  I will follow up again in 2 weeks on the meds.  I also had some lab work done to check my glucose levels.  They are now within normal range!  Who knew that 2 weeks on this new & strict diet and a little medication could help so drastically!  Amazed!

1 month ago, before I went through all my pre-natal labs and found out that I was diabetic, I made an appointment with a highly recommended dietician just to re-evaluate what I was eating and to get suggestions on weight management for my PCOS.  I was completely offended when she told me that I have been living on a toxic diet all my life and that I was extremely overweight – I knew I was, but to hear it hurts!  So, that day I went cold turkey on a lot of things and totally changed my eating so that I could get healthy before we started IVF.  I have been on so many diets in my life – they never work.  So I decided to not call it a diet, but a lifestyle change to better my health!

So last Wednesday I went to my 3 week follow up with my dietician and to my surprise, between the combined new diagnoses and her helping with my eating, I’m actually seeing results from a lifestyle change that I think that I can stick to!  I am down 6 pounds, lost 4 pounds of fat, gained 2 pounds of muscle, and lost 1.2% of my body fat!  Whooohooo!!  My BMI even went down.  I love seeing results; is reassuring that I’m doing the right thing.

So now I just keep on with what I’m doing.  Need to stay motivated to keep working out, as that will just further my results.  Tomorrow I am meeting with another dietician from the Diabetes Center for more nutrition counseling so I can get a more firm grasp of things I can and can’t have.

Infertility update:  we are going to go ahead and do a sonohysterogram (SHG) with my next cycle.  It will check the inner lining of my uterus to make sure there are no abnormalities as to why an embryo could not implant.  Hope that everything is good, but that is the one thing that we haven’t checked, and since I had a c-section with C, there could be scar tissue preventing this from happening, on top of the PCOS.

Jeremiah 17:7 - “Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, And whose hope is the LORD.”

5 comments:

  1. So happy for you!! You're doing such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work!! Keep it going!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank ya'll so much!! I appreciate all your encouragement! This is hard!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenica, I've been behind on blog reading, so I'm just now seeing this post. So proud of you for your 'lifestyle change'. I know that isn't easy, but it will definitely pay off in the long run. Keep it up, and thank for being 'real' with the world. You are a light to so many, even if it's just knowing that someone else is going through what they are struggling with. Much love!

    ReplyDelete