Monday, December 5, 2011

stimulation day 10 & hcg trigger

2097 – that is today’s estrodial level.  That is equivalent for OHSS (Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome).  OHSS is a complication occasionally seen in women who take certain fertility medicines that stimulate egg production.  Great!  No wonder I have been in so much pain the past few days in my lower abdominal region!  I feel like I have been carrying my stomach around all day today because of all the pressure.  We will just keep an eye on it and make sure that my levels don’t get too much higher and that I don’t have any of the symptoms.

Here is the best part:  OHSS affects up to 1 in 10 women who go through in vitro fertilization.  Additional risk factors for OHSS include:  Age younger than 35, very high estrogen levels while undergoing fertility treatments, or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - HA – I have all those risk factors! Aye – thank goodness I have such a great Dr who will take great care of me through all this.
Today’s sonogram looked good – about 30 little follicles total combined between my 2 ovaries.  The follicles on the left ovary got much bigger, but the ones of the right didn’t grow very much.  There isn’t much room for more growth because they are so big.  Dr L told me that my ovaries are the size of navel oranges, or baseballs.  Ouch!

So I am set to have my sister give me my hCG trigger injection tonight @ 9.45pm.  This is one of the most critical parts of the IVF medication protocol as this is the final medication given before the egg retrieval.  It helps induce final maturation of the eggs, loosens the egg's attachment from the follicle wall & allows for the timing of the egg retrieval, which is about 36 hours later.
Surgery is set for Wednesday morning @ 10am.  I’m ready – I can’t believe that it is here!!

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you and love you! Let me know that you're ok tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete